Nutrition Fun Facts: Cabbage (and it’s relatives broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc) contain high qualities of powerful antioxidants that produce enzymes that help the body detox. Regularly consuming vegetables in the cabbage family can lower levels of ‘bad cholesterol’ in the blood and reduce the risk of heart disease. It is an excellent source of fiber, B6, folate and other vitamins that regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
Storage tips: Keep cabbage cool by storing in a loose plastic bag in the crisper of your fridge. Partial heads can be wrapped with plastic and returned to the fridge. Cabbage is a traffic storage crop and can last for weeks or months in cool environments. Once cut, cabbage begins to loose vitamin C content so use cut heads within several days for maximum nutrition.
Preparation tips: Cabbage can be eaten raw and cooked. Raw cabbage can be cut into wedges and then into large pieces and dipped in salad dressing for a healthy snack. Thinly slice or shred for slaws or salads. Shredded cabbage is a great topper for tacos, in spring rolls, or as a crunch side salad base. Steaming cabbage brings out a different set of nutritional properties. Whole cabbage leaves can be steamed or boiled until pliable, stuffed with ground meat or rice and vegetables. Thick sliced cabbage can be added to soups and stews and is very tender once cooked down.
• ¼ small head red cabbage, finely shredded
• ¼ small head green cabbage, finely shredded
• 1 large (3 small) carrot(s) , grated
• ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 green onion, finely chopped
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
• ½ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp black pepper
1. Add all ingredients through white wine vinegar to a large a mixing bowl. Set aside
2. In a separate bowl, add vinegar, ginger, sambal, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. Blend until well combined. Pour over reserved salad and stir well.
3. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to develop.
4. This salad will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Adapted from: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/sweet-potato-and-kale-chicken-patties-and-a-super-healthy-coleslaw/